Zungri is located 571 meters a.s.l. on the north side of Mount Poro plateau, 21 Km from Vibo Valentia and 16 km from Tropea.
It’s difficult to date its historical origins, the first documented existence of a human settlement is dated 1310 AC.
The “Madonna della Neve” (“Our Lady of the Snows”) church houses a painting of artistic and historical interest: the painting of “Our Lady of the Snows”. The painting was made by a southern painter trained at the school of Raffaello in the sixteenth century. The painter was inspired by the Raffaello work "Little Holy Family" preserved at Louvre, in Paris.
The characteristic centre of the town of Zungri still retains its old buildings, very close to the Basilian caves (Sbariati’s Caves (or stragglers), former rock settlement of the twelfth and thirteenth century inhabited by Basilian monks, give it an important historical testimony. The 39 caves are overlooking the sloping terraces on the "Malopera" river, and it constitute a single complex in Calabria. You can also walk through a scenic route, even to the hillside Zungri’s lake.