- Hotel Rocca della Sena Tropea – Official Website
- Rooms and Suites
- Bars and Terraces
- Request quotation
- Where we are
- Contact us
The Cathedral of Mary Most Holy of Romania and the Diocesan Museum
Second only to the Sanctuary of the Island of Santa Maria, it is also known as the Norman Cathedral: built by the Normans, it was built in about 1200 on the ruins of a cemetery of Byzantine origin.
It owes its characteristic yellow colour to the tuff, the material chosen for its creation and also to the various alteration works that it has had to endure over time.
Its full name, however, derives no less than from the protector of Tropea, the Madonna of Romania, of which you can admire a copy on the main facade of the cathedral. The original is kept inside, placed above the main altar.
The history of the icon is, on the other hand, lost in legend: it arrived by sea, on a ship damaged by a storm in the port of Tropea. After repairing the damage to the ship, however, it was not able to restart until the painting, which appeared for several nights in a dream to the Bishop of Tropea, was brought ashore.
The Madonna of Romania had fallen in love with the beauty of the city, to the point of choosing to become its protector and perform miracles in favour of its inhabitants.
The Diocesan Civic Museum, inaugurated in 2004, is right in front of the cathedral and preserves several works, as well as ancient pieces from several churches in Tropea.
It is an interesting place to visit for young and old visitors alike, especially for all those who want to admire religious works or be fascinated by ancient marbles and period paintings.